Lowry CrossFit – CrossFit
Please continue to register for classes in Wodify. Also, continue to cancel classes when you aren’t able to make them.
June 21 – August 14, 2021
To thrive in our sport on the weights, we need two related but independent capacities:
Strength, which is measured by our ability to move a heavy load once.
Stamina, which is the gritty ability to cycle for reps when others put the bar down.
It’s one thing to have a strong back squat for a single, but that doesn’t necessarily transfer to 50 thrusters for time. In “Grunt Work”, we’re going to bridge that gap. Taking the foundational strength from our previous cycle (“Silverback”), our focus turns now towards high volume squatting, barbell cycling intervals, and odd-object Body Armor sessions.
At the conclusion of the cycle, we’ll be re-testing the weightlifting benchmark we opened our previous cycle with – “Silverback”. With 16 weeks of squatting beneath our belt, we’re looking to forward to getting after some new PR’s.
June 21 – July 18 Weeks 1-4 (Block #1)
July 19 Week 5: Deload
July 26 – August 14 Weeks 5-8 (Block #2)
1: “The Grunt” (AMRAP – Reps)
“The Grunt” (Cycle Benchmark)
18 Power Cleans
15 Front Squats
12 Push Jerks
9 Power Snatches
Time Remaining: AMRAP Thrusters
Barbell – 135 / 95 lb
– In this barbell sprint, we’ll have 5 minutes to complete 18 power cleans, 15 front squats, 12 push jerks, 9 power snatches, and in the time remaining, as many thrusters as possible.
– We will retest this workout at the end of our cycle.
– Barbell must come from the floor for all movements.
– Score is total thruster reps completed.
THE BIG TAKEAWAYS
1. 1-3 sets on the power cleans.
2. 1-2 sets on the front squats.
3. 1-2 sets on the push jerks.
4. Singles, 2 sets, 3 sets, or unbroken on the snatches.
5. Chip away at the thrusters in sets of 3 or more.
2: “Run It Back” (Time)
On the 4:00 x 6 Rounds:
21 Kettlebell Swings 53 / 35 lb
400 Meter Run
– Working through intervals today that balance out gymnastics, weightlifting, and cardio
– Round begin every 4 minutes [0-4-8-12-16-20]
– Enter all 6 times today, with your score being the slowest round
– These rounds should take 3:30 or less to complete, giving you at least 30 seconds of rest between sets
– Choose a pull-up number you can complete in under 45 seconds
– The kettlebell should also be a weight that you can complete unbroken every round.
– Adjust the reps or run distance as needed to stay under the 3:30 per round mark
THE BIG TAKEAWAYS
1. With your score being the slowest of the 6 rounds, look to find a sustainable speed from the very beginning. It can almost be helpful in workouts like this to declare your first round as your slowest time of the day.
2. Push the inside movements and find a steady run pace. The difference makers of this workout isn’t the running, it’s the efficiency and speed on the pull-ups and kettlebell swings. Run at a pace that allows you to thrive on the next round of higher priority movements.
EC: Metcon (No Measure)
3 Giant Sets:
Max Reps Barbell Strict Press
10 Supinated Grip Ring Rows
20 Single Leg Glute Bridges (10 Each Side)
Rest 2:00 Between Sets.
– Enter strict press reps completed each round. Overall score will be total reps.
– Barbell can be taken from the rack.
– Palms will face up on the ring rows.
– The glue bridges are unweighted.
– Have urgency moving station to station and rest 2:00 between fully completed rounds.