Lowry CrossFit – CrossFit
Please continue to register for classes in Wodify. Also, continue to cancel classes when you aren’t able to make them.
June 21 – August 14, 2021
To thrive in our sport on the weights, we need two related but independent capacities:
Strength, which is measured by our ability to move a heavy load once.
Stamina, which is the gritty ability to cycle for reps when others put the bar down.
It’s one thing to have a strong back squat for a single, but that doesn’t necessarily transfer to 50 thrusters for time. In “Grunt Work”, we’re going to bridge that gap. Taking the foundational strength from our previous cycle (“Silverback”), our focus turns now towards high volume squatting, barbell cycling intervals, and odd-object Body Armor sessions.
At the conclusion of the cycle, we’ll be re-testing the weightlifting benchmark we opened our previous cycle with – “Silverback”. With 16 weeks of squatting beneath our belt, we’re looking to forward to getting after some new PR’s.
June 21 – July 18 Weeks 1-4 (Block #1)
July 19 Week 5: Deload
July 26 – August 14 Weeks 5-8 (Block #2)
1: Metcon (Weight)
Grit Squats – Week 1A
“X” Back Squats
“X” Front Squats
Rest 2:00 between sets.
– We’ll be building on these squats in the coming weeks.
– Super set means that we’ll complete our back squats, quickly change out weights (if needed), and then complete our front squats. There is little to no rest between the front squats and back squats but we’ll rest for 2:00 before completing the next super set.
– All percentages based on 5RM Back Squat (both front and back squat barbells).
10 Back Squats @ 60%
5 Front Squats @ 60%
8 Back Squats @ 65%
5 Front Squats @ 62%
6 Back Squats @ 70%
5 Front Squats @ 64%
MC: “Front Burner” (Time)
20 Front Squats 135 / 95 lb
20 Lateral Barbell Burpees
20 Push Presses 135 / 95 lb
20 Lateral Barbell Burpees
20 Thrusters 135 / 95 lb
– Conditioning Category: Threshold
– 100 reps for time at challenging barbell weight.
– Choose a load that allows you to complete the thrusters in at least sets of 5 during the workout.
– You do not have to stand all the way up on the lateral barbell burpees.
– Take the barbell from the floor, not out of a rack.
THE BIG TAKEAWAYS
1. The two most important barbell movements are the push press and thrusters. Break these up before your press out starts to struggle, as it’ll make it much easier to come back for another strong set. Consider the following options: 20, 12-8, 8-7-5, 5-5-5-5.
2. Work at a consistent pace on the lateral barbell burpees that will allow you to thrive on the barbell. We don’t want to move slowly, just steadily.
3. Make it a goal to get your hands right on the barbell for your first set after your last burpee for your first set. Even if this is 5 reps, it’s a great mental win. We can practice this in our short practice round.
EC: Metcon (Weight)
3 Sets of 7: Tempo Seated Good Mornings (3s Down)
3 Sets of 15: Barbell Hip Thrusts
*Complete 3-6 Strict Chest To Bar Pull-Ups After Each Set (6 Sets Total).
– Rest 1-2 minutes between sets.
– Complete all good morning sets before moving onto the hip thrust sets.
– Barbell can be taken out of the rack for the good mornings and sit on a box that is at or just above parallel. Feet should be flat on the floor.
– Support the upper back on a bench or box for the hip thrusts. Barbell will not come back to the floor every rep.
– Aim to build slightly in load on the good mornings with the priority being good quality movement and full range of motion.
– We can build to a heavier load on the hip thrusts but again, the priority is good quality movement and full range of motion.
– Record all weights used.